Ahh, the “Garden State” is known for many things…sweet corn, the juiciest peaches, those delicious super flavor punching tomatoes, but the best weather for the crops can make for a hot, sticky house in the summertime.
To make sure your AC is always running cool in the summer season remember that scheduled routine maintenance is the best medicine to keep your air conditioning system healthy.
Regular maintenance of your air conditioners filters, coils and fins will keep your unit performing effectively and efficiently, extending the life of your system. Overlooking the necessary maintenance ensures a steady decline in the cooling capacity of your AC unit and an increase in overall energy use.
Here are the maintenance basics:
- Routinely replace and clean your air filters. Clogged, dirty air filters block air- flow making your system inefficient. Beyond the efficiency, a new air filter can lower your AC energy consumption by 5-15%.
- Keeping your filters clean also impact the air conditioner’s coils, however, over time both the evaporator coil and condenser coil will collect dirt that reduces their ability to absorb heat. Check the coils and clean as necessary.
Hire a Professional:
- Hire Professional for more in-depth maintenance. A professional HVAC technician will look at the following:
- Check for correct refrigerant
- Test for refrigerant leaks
- Check for and seal duct leakage in central systems
- Measure airflow through the evaporator coil
- Verify the correct electric control sequence to ensure that heating system and cooling cannot operate simultaneously
- Inspect electric terminals, clean and tighten connections. Apply non-conductive coating if necessary
- Oil motors and check belts for tightness and wear
- Check accuracy of the thermostat.
Every year 6% of the average household’s energy use goes to cooling, which translates into $11B spent to power up those air conditioners. The quickest way to save energy over the summer months is by maintaining a clean AC unit with the simple steps listed above. Here is a recent ENERGY 101 infographic with helpful facts and tips to keep you “Cool as a Cucumber” this summer.
Call Patriot Air for all your HVAC needs, 609-298-5109.